Grape-harvesting season runs from September to October and is the time of the year when vineyards take on a festive air. You’ll truly enjoy being in the area at this particular time, for so many reasons. And what are these reasons? Here are a few:
To get a behind-the-scenes preview
During the grape-harvesting season, most of the region’s vineyards offer guided tours, accompanied by the winemakers. They include the following: Château de cartes, vignoble & cidrerie, Vignoble de La Bauge, Vignoble Clos Ste-Croix, Domaine des Côtes d’Ardoise, Léon Courville, vigneron and Vignoble Val Caudalies.
Join in the grape harvesting
During grape harvesting season, you can immerse yourself in the experience by taking part in vineyard grape picking activities. Contact the vineyards directly to find out their dates and to make a reservation.
- At the Vignoble l’Ardennais you are invited to participate in their grape harvesting accompanied by the vintners. The activity starts with a delicious cup of coffee and scones and ends with a tasting. Cost: $25
- At Vignoble Domaine Bresee, grape harvesting is always a festive occasion and includes a meal, a glass of wine, musical performances and an evening campfire. Their harvesting activities will be held on September 15, 22 and 29, starting at 10 a.m. Cost $27.
- At Le Domaine du Ridge vineyard, you can not only harvest the grapes, you can also taste 10 different wines and sample local, home-grown products. Cost $39. Following ancient european tradition, ladies are invited to participate in a unique experience by stomping grapes in a traditional wooden grape vat. Wine will be served to all those participating in the stomping activity! Cost: $25.
Appease your cravings
Since touring the vineyards can work up your appetite, many of the vineyards offer epicurean activities during the grape harvesting.
- On weekends, from September 15 to September 30, from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM, the Vignoble Gagliano vineyard proposes a menu featuring pizza, pasta or sausages, depending on the weekend. Your menu selection will be paired with one of their vineyard wines.
- In Dunham, Vignoble du Ruisseau offers several thematic dinners, including a “Winemaker Dinner” on September 19 and October 13.
- The Vignoble La Mission will be offering terroir products along with their wine tastings.
- The Vignoble de la Bauge will be offering wine and dish pairings in “Prestige Tastings” and “Terroir Platter” formulas on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Every weekend in September and October, on the terrace of Château de cartes, vignoble et cidrerie, you can enjoy pizza, baked in a wood-burning oven.
- You’ll also be able to treat yourself to a snack at Tire-Bouchon, l’Orpailleur vineyard’s restaurant.
- You might want to enjoy a light meal at the Domaine des Côtes d’Ardoise bistro as well.
Have a picnic amid the vines
Most of the vineyards along the Wine Route have picnic tables where you can enjoy an outdoor feast. These vineyards include, among others, Léon Courville, vigneron, Vignoble les Trois Clochers, Vignoble Domaine Bresee, Vignoble Gagliano and Val Caudalies. The latter two can also prepare a picnic basket for you if you call ahead.
The Wine Route moves to Mont SUTTONski hill
We agree, you might not have the time to visit all the vineyards of Brome-Missisquoi during harvest season. No problem! All you need to do is head out to Mount Sutton for the Mont SUTTON Fall Festival every weekend from September 15 to October 14. The Brome-Missisquoi win route will have a stand where you will be welcomed try the wine route products. A suggestion: Take the chairlift to admire the breathtaking view of the region’s amazing autumn landscape.
Discover an Open Air Art Gallery
When you go to the Vignoble Domaine des Côtes d’ardoise in Dunham, you’ll discover the largest open-air sculpture exhibit of Quebec and unique in all of Canada. Over 150 works of art can be seen throughout the gardens of the vineyard.
If you’re feeling inspired, the artist Sanders Pinault organizes fun visual art workshops on September 16 and October 7 at Léon Courville, vigneron.
View hosting packages View all wineries
Important note! Check with the respective vineyards for information about their schedule and the price of their activities, and for reservations, if need be.